|Project Areas||Mahakachakodi GN Division in Vavuniya south D.S division in Vavuniya District|
|Duration||18th February - 31st May 2016|
|Funded by||Japan Water forum
|Project Cost||US$ 3,218|
|Overall Objective||The overall objective of this project is to introduce and educate the people concerned on the benefits and expediency of rainwater harvesting to meet their water needs.|
|Specific Objective||Improve the health of community due to drinking uncontaminated water|
The Scope of Work
- Initial meeting with the candidates of the beneficiaries
- Selecting 7 beneficiaries based on the request form from candidates. In addition to the request form LRWHF shall consider following points to select the beneficiaries.
- Will women in the house hold be relived from burden (fetching water, purchasing water,etc) caused by the present situation (shortage of safe drinking water)?
- Does the member of the household have enough ability to understand the advantage of roof RWHS, maintain and operate it well?
- Purchasing materials
- Constructing 7 RWHS.
- Training households on Operation and maintenance of RWHS to ensure proper and lonf term use od of the system
- Interviewing to the beneficiaries about
- The situation of their water resources before installing RWHS
- The problems stemming from the situation stated in question 1
- How will you be benefited by RWHS
- Message to the donor
- Submitting the project completion report to JWF.
- The report shall include the results of water quality test (TDS). The samples will be taken from the RWHS which were installed to 7 households in the first phase of Aqua program 2015.
- Initial meeting with the candidates of the beneficiaries: Conducted awareness programs to beneficiaries at Mahakachakodi (6 participated) on the 19th March, 2016.
- Selecting 7 beneficiaries: 7 beneficiaries were selected out of 70 requests. The selection criteria was Distance to drinking water source, main person collecting water is the Women, Patients with Kidney/Urine disease, Number of children. The details of the households selected are
|No||Name||Village||Gender of HH||No. of Children||No. of Family Members||Diseases caused by water||Drinking source of water||Distance to the source of water|
|1||Mr. Wasantha Kumara||Mahakachchekodi||M||2||4||Renal calculus||Tube Well||3km|
|3||Mrs.M. Anulawathee||Mahakachchakodiya||F||4||6||Urine Infections||Other||2km|
|4||Mrs.M.Gunawathee||Mahakachchekodi||F||2||5||Kidney issue||Private well and filter water||500m|
|6||Ms. SuneethaJayalath||Mahakachchekodi||F||2||6||Renal calculus||Other||2km|
- Purchasing materials: Most materials were purchased locally. Sand and valance board for hanging the gutters and unskilled labour during construction were provided by the beneficiaries
- Constructing 7 RWHS: 7 Rain water harvesting systems consisting of 8,000 liter Ferro cement tank, gutters, first flush system , filter and tap was constructed at Mahakachakodi
- Training households on Operation and maintenance of RWHS to ensure proper and long term use of the system
Training program on Operation and Maintenance of Rain water harvesting system was conducted to beneficiary households on the 9th June 2016 at a beneficiary household constructed with RWH system at Mahakatchchakody village by Mr. RudraWijeratnam, Filed Co-ordinator, Lanka Rain Water Harvesting Forum. It was attended by 7 participants representing each households
Training program include
- How and when to clean the roof
- How and when to clean the gutters
- How to construct the filters and when to clean it
- How to operate the first flush
- How and when to clean the tank
- To keep the tap and tap stand in good condition
- How to check for leaks in the tank
|Name||Contact No||Socially benefits||Economic benefits||Health benefits|
|Mr. Wasantha Kumara||024-5684050|
|I used to travel to the water shop by cycling twice a week now I can use that time for my home gardening. I planted eggplants and ladies fingers around the RWHS||I use to cycle 2 km to purchase water and my husband and myself we do temporally work so when we have money only we purchase water from the water shop. Otherwise we borrow water from neighbors who have RWHS. But during the drought we can't borrow water from them. Now with the saved money will be able to use for my children’s education.||I have been operated for kidney stones. After that doctors advised me not to drink ground water due to poor quality and also if I drink water from the open well I find difficult to pass urine and suffer from urine infections. Now I can use rain water for drinking which will be very helpful for my health condition.|
|Mr. K. Ranbanda||077-9637827||We use to walk long distance to get water from water shop and also use to borrow water from the neighbors who have RWS , during the drought they do not like to give the water so we have to depend from water shop in city. Since now the RWHS is at our door step will able use that time for our house hold other activities.||we use to buy 20 L for month from the water shop in the city .when it rains this time will able to collect the water to RWHS and use it for drinking. Then will able to save the money that we spend on purchasing water||I am CKDu patient, so I am waiting for the next rain to collect water and drink. It's a great blessing for me and my family|
|Mrs. M. Anulawathee||024-5688533||I lost my husband in 2010 who died because of CKDu, the doctors advised us not to drink water from well. I have a daughter, I leave her home along and travel to purchase water from the filter. So now since i have the RWHS at my garden I don't need to leave her home along which is a big relief for me.||I travel to the water filter by bus, one trip cost me LKR 20. I visit the shop twice a week and per month we need 150 L . Now all the money we spend on water purchasing can be used for house hold expenses once we receive the rain in next rainy season.||Doctors advised us not to drink water from well so now since we have RWHS, hope we will not be victims of CKDu in future.|
|Mrs. M. Gunawathee||024-3249923||My daughter in law and my granddaughters are the people who go to water shop to buy water. Now I don't have to trouble them to bring water from the water shop and they will also have time for their activities||Now the filter water money can be saved and spend on my medical bills. So now we are waiting for rain and start using the tank.||In 2012 doctors identified that I have CKDu , since then I take lots of medicine tablets . So I have to drink at least 3 L of water per day since when i pass urine it is hurting. Hope when we start using RWHS I will be able to drink more clean quality water and which will be good for my health.|
|Ms. Malhamige Anulawathi||077-1135985||Daily about 20 minutes spend for traveling to purchase the water from the filter, now that time can be used for meditation and which will able to improve my spiritual life.||I am 60 years old so I daily travel to water shop, the day I am can't go, I send my daughter to purchase water. We need 5 L per day for drinking. The water shop is closed on Sundays so on Saturday we have to buy extra water and keep stock. Now all the money spends for water purchasing will be saved and i can use for meritorious deeds.||I lost my husband in 2011 October. Then doctors said drinking water source has to be changed so we started buying water from water shop. Hope that in future we will have quality rain water for drinking|
|Ms. Suneetha Jayalath||071-2702272||Now I do not need to ask my son to bring water from water shop. Now time is saved.||My son bought water for me from the water shop it is 2 km away from my home. Some days due to his work he finds difficult to bring water from the shop. One water bottle is LKR 150 per month I need 30 bottles which is LKR 4500 now it is saved since I have RWHS in my garden. now i will use that money for household activities||I had an operation in 2015 to remove stones in my bladder. After that doctors advised not to drink water from the well. Then onwards I drank bottled water or filter water. Now ill able to collect the RW and drink so my worries on health problems will be solved.|
- The samples will be taken from the RWHS which were installed to 7 households in the first phase of Aqua program 2015.
|No||Name||Temp||pH||EC||TDS||Comments||Year of RWHS constructed|
|1||D. B. Upali Anurabandara/ Dinesh Piyadharshani||29.3C||11.7||707||332||Mixed with well water||October – November 2015|
|2||M. Muthumanika||28.4C||7.1||69||32||February - April 2015|
|3||R. Herath Bandara||28.3C||8.5||408||192||Mixed with well water||February - April 2015|
|4||A. Premawathy||28.5C||8.3||75||37||February - April 2015|
|5||D. M. Gunawathy||28.3C||9.5||55||25||February - April 2015|
|6||R. Kalyanawathy||27.8C||11.6||463||223||Gutters not cleaned, Tank not washed only once||October – November 2015|
|7||D. B. Jayasingha||27.C||10.1||84||40||August – October 2014|
|8||N. Bathrala||28.0 C||9.8||70||33||February - April 2015|
|9||K. Galugame||28.5C||9.1||72||33||February - April 2015|
|10||K. Dhanabala||29.9C||10.4||103||48||October – November 2015|
|11||U. Dinkiri Manike||28.1 C||10||158||75||February - April 2015|
|12||V. Malhame||28.1 C||11.3||316||147||Tank not washed only once||October – November 2015|
|13||A. K. Cithrasena||28.1 C||10.6||70||33||October – November 2015|
|14||S. Gunawathy||28.1 C||11.2||184||86||October – November 2015|