|Project Areas||Kilinochchi and Jaffna Districts|
|Duration||21st October 2015 to 21st February 2016 (4 months)|
|Funded by||Office of National Unity and Reconciliation (ONUR)
|Project Cost||LKR 7,325,000|
|Project Objective||Provide clean drinking water source to 100 householdes in Kilinochchi and Jaffna District.|
Activity 1: Awareness Raising on Rainwater Harvesting Villages in Kilinochchi & Jaffna
- Conducted awareness programs to 51 beneficiaries at Ponnaveli – Valaippadu, Cheddiyarkurachchi, Gnanimadam KN/63 in Kilinochchi District held on the 2nd Oct. 2015.
- Conducted awareness programs to 16 beneficiaries at Maradankani DS – Pookaruppu GN, in Jaffna District held on 16th Nov 2015.
- Conducted awareness programs to 26 beneficiaries at Chempianpattu South GN, Kudathanai GN, in Jaffna District held on 19thNov 2015.
Activity 2: Construct 100 Rain Water Harvesting Systems (8000 liter ferrocement tanks) in Kilinochchi and Jaffna Districts
- Number of RWHS completed in Kilinochchi District at Ponnakary DS:.
- Number of RWHS completed in Jaffna District at Maradankerni DS
Name of RWH Beneficiaries from Kilinochchi District
Name of RWH Beneficiaries from Jafffna District
Activity 3: Training on Operation and Maintenance to Beneficiary Households
- Conducted training program on operation and maintenance of RWHS at Cheddiyakuruchchi GN held on 26th January 2016, Ponnaveli GN held on 2nd February 2016, Ganimadam GN held on 4th February 2016, Poonakary DS in Kilinochchi District (35 beneficiaries participated ).
- Conducted training program on operation and maintenance of RWHS at Manlkadu GN held on 29th January 2016, Kudathanai GN held on 5th February 2016, Chembiyanpattu GN held on 5th February 2016, Mulliyan GN held on 8th February 2016 and Pokkaruppu GN held on 9th February 2016 in Vadamarachy East DS, Jaffna District (43 beneficiaries participated).
- Heavy rains in both districts during Nov-Dec period. No access to Ponnaveli sites due to close of road, supply was transported by boat
- Difficulty in supply of sand to site due to rains
- Cost of transport of supplies are high since locations are far apart
- Minimal contribution from Beneficiary at Pokkaruppu GND in Jaffna District . Long delay in installing Valance board by beneficiaries, which delayed tank completion
- 3 beneficiaries selected by Divisional Secretary rejected to install RWH in Pokkaruppu, this was informed to Divisional secretary and replacement was given by DS
Recommendation for the Future
- Beneficiary selection should be done according to demand. Beneficiary should apply for a RWH system and from the application selection should be made according to a selection criteria based on need.
- Avoid rain season during construction.
- Where possible select beneficiaries in a cluster to minimize transport chargers for supplies