|Project Area||All eight districts in North & East of Sri Lanka (Ampara, Batticaloa, Trincomalee, Vavuniya, Kilinochchi, Mullativu, Mannar and Jaffna)|
|Duration||15th August 2003 to 30th November 2005|
|Funded by|| Aus AID (Australian Agency for International Development)
|Objective||To improve the life standard of the people living in North and Eastern province of Sri Lanka through better access to domestic water supply.|
Outputs of the Project (at the completion – November 2005)
- Developed linkages with government, non government and other volunteer organisations in the project area. 55 local organizations, CBOs were linked with the LRWHF.
- 8 awareness creation workshops on the importance of RWH was conducted and 342 persons participated. The participants included government and non government officers and the community.
- A symposium and exhibition on RWH technology was held in Jaffna. An awareness exhibition was held at Trincomalee in September 2004 focusing school children on RWH technology and other appropriate technologies.
- Mason Training programs: 79 masons were trained by conducting 8 mason training programs in all 8 districts. They obtained on the job training on construction of RWH system.
- Tank constructions: Beneficiary sites were identified with the help of local organisation and partners in all eight districts of the North and East districts and a total of 93 RWH tanks were built.
The number of Tanks built in Each District:
Demonstration RWH tank connected to a drip irrigation system at District Agriculture Training Centre, Ellappiar Maruthankulum, Vavuniya
Demonstration RWH tank (VA 04) at Kalimakal Vidyalaya, Unit 06, Pavatkulum, Vavuniya
- Operation & Maintenance programs
- 33 awareness programs on Operation and Maintenance (O&M) of RWH systems were conducted for direct beneficiaries of the RWH systems. 633 persons participated in these programmes.
- A Socio economic survey of the beneficiaries was conducted.
- Strengthening of partners
- Reusable frames used for construction of ferrocement RWH tanks were distributed to partners in each district.
- Resource material/ Publications
- 3 Volumes of “Varsha” newsletter was printed & distributed.
- RWH manual titled “Problem-Water: Solution-Rainwater” was translated and published in Tamil.
- Brochures in all 3 languages were printed and distributed.
- O&M manual was translated and printed and distributed to beneficiaries.
- Posters in all 3 languages were printed.