First Bangladesh convention on Rain water harvesting organized WaterAid Bangladesh in collaboration with Centre of Science and Environment, New Delhi, India, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Institute of Water Modeling and Rain Forum organized was held in June 15 to 16, 2012 in Dhaka.
The objectives of the convention are;
- sharing knowledge on domestic, community, social, agricultural and industrial use of rainwater harvesting and its sustainability with technical, operational, socio-economic and social marketing perspective
- popularizing rainwater harvesting and its practical applications in the context of Bangladesh
- finding ways forward to promote rainwater harvesting in Bangladesh
The background and related information about the convention has been placed found at website http://rainwaterconvention.org/
Hon. Dinesh Gunawardena, Minister for Water Supply and Drainage was invited to be the chief guest at this convention, due to his interest and experience in rainwater harvesting and the good work the Government of Sri Lanka has done in rainwater harvesting. Dr C.S. Weeraratna, Chairman of Lanka Rain Water Harvesting Forum and Dr Tanuja Ariyananda, Director of Lanka Rain Water Harvesting Forum attended the Convention. The Convention was held for 2 days with the Inauguration ceremony held on the first day attended by Mr Ramesh Chandra Sen MP, Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Water Resources, Government of Bangladesh and Mr Dinesh Gunawardena MP, Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Water Supply and Drainage, Government of Sri Lanka and Chief Government Whip, Parliament of Sri Lanka.
The second day there was a session on South Asian Experience Sharing on Rainwater Harvesting by India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and 5 parallel session on the themes.
- Best practices in different hydro-geological contexts focusing recharge of groundwater and reuse of rainwater
- Rainwater harvesting in (urban areas, coastal belts, drought prone hilly areas and water logged parts of the city)
- Rainwater harvesting for promoting artificial recharge to encounter the loss of water bodies due to encroachment
- Rainwater harvesting in Arsenic prone areas
- Legal framework, policy, strategy and challenges related to rainwater harvesting
Convention concluded with the announcement of Dhaka Declaration on rain water harvesting. The convention was attended by over 350 participants who were practitioners, professionals, researchers , student and government and non government officer.